Friday, September 24, 2010

I am the Milkman, My Milk is Delicious


So this is probably why you’re here, either that or you’re just a good friend trying to support me. But you didn’t really come here to hear about how I like the frost. You came here about video games, so here it is my first review.
            You probably won’t hear me talking much about games like Call of Duty or Madden on my Blog. To be honest, they are great games but you don’t need me to convince you it is worth your time. You have played those by now I am sure and you either like them or you don’t. So what I hope to do is bring you a selection of games that you may not of heard about, haven’t played, or forgot about them long ago. I begin with Pychonauts.
            I chose to start with this title because it is one of the best games that no one ever played. The game takes place at a summer camp for the mentally gifted. These are kids who can move stuff with their minds, get into peoples thoughts, and wage mental warfare.
            The majority of the game takes place inside of the minds of some very strange characters; the most memorable of which is a deranged milkman. The game is a platformer with some puzzles but its unique level designs make it better than all of the rest. Remember, the levels take place inside of minds of people; anything can, and does happen.
            Each level was developed by a different group of people and this really shows in the variation within the game. I won’t lie, some levels are going to make you rethink about gaming while others are going to be annoying to even get through (especially the final stage).  Don’t let that discourage you though. You aren’t going to find the fine tuned consistency you get in a Mario title but the experience is something amazing.
            Visually the game looks good and while it is a Ps2 title (also on Xbox and PC I believe) it doesn’t interfere with the game play in the least (no Resident Evil hidden ladders here).
            My copy cost me under $10 new a few years back and I can only imagine it has gotten cheaper. Buy it. Play it. And let me know what you think. It’s one of the few gems that keeps my faith in video games alive.

1 comment:

  1. I've always heard that Psychonauts was a good game. I guess I'll have to hit Play-N-Trade to see if I can snag a used copy. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete