Friday, September 24, 2010

Adults and Pokemon


When did Pokemon stop being a show for children and start becoming a game for adults? I understand there is still a show and that children still buy the games but as I have gotten older I have gotten a lot more into them. They have a surprising amount of depth that children just can’t appreciate.
            When I was younger, I owned Red, Blue, and Yellow. I made basically the same team every time, and my Charizard had four fire attacks. Skip ahead ten years and now I am breeding them by the thousands for egg moves, IPs, Eps, and teaching them choice selected move sets that will make them strong against even their weaknesses. I bread about five Eevee per day for a year, just so that I could get the absolute perfect natures for each, combine with perfect stats, egg moves, and oh yeah, they had to be girls…except Jolteon???
            I battle friends now with such forethought that it borders on ridiculous and I can’t even tell you why. Is it because they are cute? The game play hasn’t really changed. I guess it’s cause we all wish we actually lived in the world of Pokemon, where we could keep an intelligent tiger in our pockets or each pizza with a polar bear. I know that sounds odd but think about it, that’s what they are doing.
            It’s just something I have been thinking about with the approach of Black and White. It is going to be the same game with difference skins; the same cards with a different picture; and the same movies with different even more powerful god pokemon; and I will buy, play, and watch all of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment