Friday, November 12, 2010

Weekly Wrap Up

Sorry I haven’t posted anything the last few days. It was just one of those weeks where everything sort of happened at the same time. A short review would be that I had several exams, two all nighters, I built a table, I slept on the sidewalk one night where I woke up to the noise from two drunken guys and a horse, and most recently I had a pretty serious electrical shock this afternoon that would have killed me if I hadn’t been sitting with my one leg off the ground. But onto the important stuff, mainly gaming.

Square Enix has released another free to play Facebook app titled “Chocobo’s Crystal Tower.” In this game you play the role of a farmer on a Chocobo ranch. You feed them, you groom them, you breed them, you battle them, and when they get old you release them into the wild where they live peacefully ever after. It’s not exactly in real time but this game moves slowly. Your Chocobos will take days to grow up and spend hours on a single quest (excluding the beginning tutorial levels). This makes it a great game to check in on every once and a while between real matters of importance. If you like Chocobos and have friends willing to play it with you then its actually pretty fun and just like FF: KC it’s free, so give it a shot.

A quick note about both FF: KC and Chocobo’s Crystal is that they don’t run smoothly with Safari. They did last week but now they have problems loading from it. I recommend using Firefox for both of these apps or you could become frustrated by how often they crash. I have also heard that Google Chrome works well but I have not tested this myself.

Rumors this week suggest that we might see a much-desired sequel to the original Psychonauts. As of right now, nothing is official but Tim Schafer has gone on the record as saying he is ready and willing. At this point he just needs developer to pick up the title and it will be set in motion. This would be a major release and possibly one of the best games made for this generation of consoles. For more details on the series look below for my full review of the first title.  

Donkey Kong Country Returns is now in its final form and it looks like Nintendo is once again trying to cater to everyone. The game is supposed to be unforgiving, something that I can’t wait to experience, but at the same time it features an easy cheat similar to the one found in recent Mario titles. If a player dies in the same level several times they have the option of skipping it all together thanks to a Super Kong who does it for them. This feature is only available in single player.

I’m sorry to say that throughout the next few weeks I might be scattered with my reviews. Please continue to check back as I will post things as much as I can and will resume with full force as the semester draws to a close.

No comments:

Post a Comment